Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default "Hello sir ! I was just in the area ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Capitol" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

Electric cars are in their infancy.
They will get better.

That was said in 1962 when I looked into it in detail. They haven't
progressed significantly in the last half century and there is no
evidence that there will be any more progress in the next half century.

No-one has had the incentive to try until recently.

What do you call recently ? The cost of petrol has been rising sharply for
years now - much longer than the sudden hikes in electricity prices that
we've suffered in the last few years. I would have thought that the
possibility of running a car on a cheaper fuel would have driven the
research at a pace. The fact is that even though battery technology has
improved massively in the last 50 years, they still can't produce ones
that will power an electric car at any kind of speed for any kind of
practical distance, and can then be recharged in any kind of practical
time. Unless there is suddenly some hugely significant new technology
thrown into the mix, electric cars are going to remain a curiosity, loved
by the green mist brigade, but utterly impractical for use in the real
world ...

Bit like windmills and solar power, really ... :-)

Lithium batteries are comparatively recent.

Define "practical distance".

99% of journeys are ten miles or less.

I get around 90% of my power for the car for free.