Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Simple TV antenna work better than big one

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:02:57 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:37:12 -0600, Mark Storkamp
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

The signal from that simple antenna is BETTER
than the huge antenna on the house, and there is no amplifier. Plus the
shed roof is lower than the tower I have by the house.

Why would this be?

Because the huge antenna is VHF and the new small one is UHF? They
stopped broadcasting on the VHF band a few years back when everything
went digital.

That's not totally true. There are hundreds of stations, and the only
source I know of (whose url I can't remember, but if I could) that lists
actual frequency and/or channel of transmission doesn't have all of them
on one page. You have to give a location and then it lists the ones
nearby. Last I looked, I think at least one channel I watch in
Baltimore was VHF.

No, here it is. It's tvfool.com or antennaweb.org . Not sure yet.

tvfool.com is what I had in mind. Specifically
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

I looked up my address and found two big stations transmitting on a VHF
channel, Channel 7, WJLA, the ABC affiliate in DC transmits on actual
channel 7.

And Channel 9, WUSA, the CBS affiliate in DC, transmits on actual
channel 9.

I used to get these before my antenna amp had problems but It doesn't
matter if I get them or not, because a million or two people in
Washington DC and its suburbs get them.

Also Channel 8, WCAL, an NBC affiliate which I think is in Lancaster,
Pa. transmits on channel 8. I've never been able to get this station,
but my friend who lives in a suburb 10 miles farther north than I used
to get it. Before digital I guess.

This is just those within 30 miiles of Baltimore. I'm sure there are
dozens or hundreds within the country.

There are four more listed for me like this, but all are too far to
receive without a tall antenna, and probably even with one. Never
heard of anyone watching them. For 8, 2, 4, and 6. The first 3 would
interere with closer channels.

There is also http://www.antennapoint.com/ and
http://broadcastengineering.com/towe...a-broadcasters
whose google summaries look like they might be helpful but I havent'
looked at them before.

You can still use it for FM radio though.