Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Simple TV antenna work better than big one

On 1/23/14, 12:15 AM, Erik wrote:
On 1/22/14, 8:16 PM, wrote:
On my house, I have a large tv antenna that is rated at 100 miles. I
also have an antenna amplifier on it. It does ok, but since I'm in a
rural area, getting a clear signal at all times is tough.

I wanted a tv in my work shed, and had a spare tv, but I but did not
want to buy another antenna, and the house is too far from the shed to
run coax. I was at an auction and bought a real simple antenna for $1.
It looks like a refrigerator grille (shelf) similar to a BBQ grill, but
square. It has three metal things in front of this grille that are
shaped like a bow-tie. That's it.

I mounted it on the roof of my shed, figuring it would be better than
nothing. I was amazed. The signal from that simple antenna is BETTER
than the huge antenna on the house, and there is no amplifier. Plus the
shed roof is lower than the tower I have by the house.

Why would this be? I wish I could find another one like it, and put
that on the house, with a switch so I can select which antenna I want,
but I've not seen one like it in any stores. I am wondering how hard it
would be to make one from a refrig shelf and cut some sheet aluminum
into bow-tie shapes. Of course I know there needs to be insulators
between the bowties and the frame, and a coax connector .

Maybe something like this from Radio Shack?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...nt=C T2032189

Sorry about the long link.... if you can't make it work, just go to
radioshack.com, and slap tv antenna in the search box... for me it came
up near the top of the second page of search results. Or just search on
it's stock number, 55068842. Note that they have loads of other antennas
available, but many are web only items.

As another poster mentioned, a different mounting position, sometimes
even just a few feet away can make a dramatic difference. Receiver
sensitivity of the individual TV's involved is another major factor.

For the shed... if you have the space in there, try cobbling up an
adjustable indoor mount of some sort, and put it inside somewhere
accessible... it'll give you some flexibility to fine tune the 'aim' for
varying climatic conditions, and make the antenna last practically
forever... same for the house if you can pull it off... attic space
often works well too.

In any case, I'd suggest trying your new $1.00 special on/in the house
before getting involved with fabricating or buying another one... just
my .02¢ worth.

Erik

More... it looks like that same antenna can be had a good bit cheaper at
places other than Radio Shack:

https://www.google.com/#q=GE+24792&safe=off

I didn't have time to scrutinize it's Amazon reviews, but at a quick
glance, it appeared to do well.

Erik