Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default "Hello sir ! I was just in the area ...

..

One hour recahrage times are easy, and less can be achieved with a
powerful enough charger. The real bugaboo is simply battery energy
density and cost. Nickel and lead are hopeless, lithoium ion is barely
acceptable for short haul.

Only Li-air has a cats chance in hell. And it would do the job if we
knew how to make it.

All very interesting but one issue remains where is all this power going
to come from?.

Daily we look at Gridwatch to see what might be going off when it gets
to 55 odd GW so what's it going to be with all this extra demand even if
it is going to be overnight?..

Can the distribution system cope for one?..

Bit like windmills and solar power, really ... :-)

No, there is onme differemnce. Analysis shows soloar and wind will never
and CAN never work, at any sane cost and certaoinly not below teh cost
of nuclear.. BEVs COULD work. With LI-air But they are a hellofa way to
go yet to be competitive on levelised lifetime costs.

Or maybe someone will come up with a way to turn nuclear fissions
straight to electricity and make nuclear plants small enough, light
enough and cheap enough to go in the car.

Now that will change the world, we won't need that Middle eastern Oil
for a start.....

Renewable energy will not last as a fashion any longer than the hydrogen
economy, biofuels CFL lightbulbs and all the other eco crap. BUT the
high prices of fossil fuels wont go away, and we have to look towards a
nuclear electric society as the only long term solution.

We need to somehow make Li air batteries work, or we will all be going
everywhere by train..shudder..

Yes commuting .. what a 'orrible thought;(...

Arfa

--
Tony Sayer