Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Urinal Drain Capacity

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/22/2014 9:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you'd like an activist "take charge" idea, buy a bottle
of drain cleaner with acid, some time. Pour the entire
bottle into the drain of one of the urinals. Flow test
an hour or so later.

Right...take charge, pour some chemicals down the drain but make sure you
don't tell the maintenance guys who might come along and decide to try to
clear the drain via mechanical means, like a snake. They don't need to know
that there's acid in the drain. They'll figure it out eventually.

Only an issue if they arrive on the same day
(and same hour) as the acid pour.

And is that something you are willing to guarantee won't happen?

Are you also will to guarantee that no workman will be working on any
downstream pipes in that building at the time the tenant pours the
chemicals in?

All in all, it's my humble opinion that a tenant in an office building
shouldn't be pouring chemicals down the floor drain of a bathroom without
informing someone who is responsible for the maintenance of the building.
For all the tenant knows, the maintenance crew may have already put
something in the drain, something that may not play nicely with whatever
the tenant adds to it.

If someone was visiting my house and found a clogged drain, I sure wouldn't
want them "taking charge" and pouring chemicals into the drain without
informing me first.