Posted to misc.consumers.house
bmac bmac is offline

Default plumbing a washer drain

I'm installing a new washer near a sink that used to have a hookup - but then it was removed several years ago and a new hookup was installed elsewhere - now, I'm moving it back.
It's downstairs, on a slab. Water heater is behind the sink on the other side of a wall.
The sink doesn't have a deep basin so I want to plumb directly to the drain pipe below it. This drain has a 1.5" plug that I'm sure was used for the older washer's drain. I believe the drain pipe goes directly to the main drain line.
But, even though whirlpool sells a drain converter for this model (2" to 1.5" or even 1"), I've heard that joining a 2" PVC drain pipe from the washer to a 1.5" plug can create problems.
Any thoughts? The whirlpool is all about low water use - and I realize that it's the force with which it drains....but I can't help but think this isn't going to be a big deal.

So, I'd run the requisite 2" pipe for 6 feet and then convert to a 1.5" pipe at the drain connection.

Am I going to regret this?