Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default it's been pretty busy here lately :-(

woodchucker wrote:
On 1/21/2014 4:55 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/21/2014 11:36 AM, Bill wrote:

Just interject an electrical problem or similar! Here is an honest
question: Is anyone experienced with the following dust collector?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html

I've read where people have bought it and replaced the filter with a
filter that cost more than $149.

I intend to try my ShopVac with a Rockler DIY dust-separator first and
see how that goes.

Bill

Please save your money on the rockler dust seperator.
Build a Thien separator, I did and it is awesome.
About $20 in parts, or $0 if you already have it.

I picked up a standard 30 gal steel trash can.
about 2 hours to make.

This is what I meant by "DIY dust-separator".
http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-...tor-components
Did you buy your components separately?

I looked it up and the distinction with the "Thien separator" is the
baffle.
The idea makes sense! There seem to be several approaches, so I'll do
more searching/comparing.

Anytime someone says "Please save your money..", I listen! Thanks!

Bill

No there's more. The Thien has a center mounted exhause, like a
regular cyclone.

That is not center mounted, and it directs the flow, which is part of
the problem of the store bought units.

your exhaust to either dust collection or vac should be center mounted
with no direction.

Jeff, Thank you for clarifying! I printed your post for reference.

Bill