Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here into tube amps?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2014-01-19, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
" wrote:

[ ... ]

A large, powdered iron toroid works even better. Like an old 3A
variac.

Woah! A Variac did *not* use a powedered iron toroid -- nor
did the Superior Electric "Powerstats", nor any other variable
autotransformer by anyone else that I ever saw. :-)

The one I had was salvaged from a damaged, imported 3A unit.

Imported -- who knows who made it then, or what modifcations to
the design.

It had to be powdered iron made for low frequency work. I've used a
standard variac to match an amp to speakers, and some PA volume controls
are tapped autotransformers.

If he wants to try winding a transformer, small APC UPS have a nice
laminated core, and scrap units are around for free. I currently have
about 25 with bad batteries.

No, I liked the shocked responses I got from other users. Everyone
else sounded muddy, with their 2K roll off. That radio sounded crisp
and clear after on going through one frequency limiting core than the
usual pair.

Doesn't the FCC get upset if the modulation frequencies push the
bandwidth too far out? Or was it less critical in the '70s?

The FCC would have to catch someone using that radio. Since it was
mainly used to listen, it didn't matter. The only downside was that you
could hear some adjacent channel crap as high pitch noise if the
transmitter was close enough. That radio didn't use ceramic IF filters.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.