Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Anybody here into tube amps?

wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:05:03 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Greetings Tubulars,
So I have this crazy idea to build a little tube amp just for fun. The
transformers are quite expensive though. I will be looking for old
ones probably because I can't justify spending loads on new ones. So
considering my almost 60 years old ears, 39 of which have been spent
in noisy environments, and my propensity to listen to loud music, what
should I look for that will sound just a little better than I can
hear? Maybe not an audio xmfr will be OK. There are some old tube amps
in a couple local thrift stores. How can I tell if they had good
xmfrs? Or can I?
Eric

I've built a dozen or so, all point to point wired.

The top quality transformers usually were potted into a square can.

It's important maintain plate-to-plate impedence, so best to use the same
output tubes that the transformers were originally paired with, or at
least
look into your tube manual and select a tube a set that is relatively
close.

https://www.google.com/search?q=peer...w=1173&bih=564

Or you could wind your own...really no reason to use E laminations you
have
a lathe...simply trepann out the coil cavity, leaving a "post" in the
center
drop in the coils and screw on a round cover to complete the flux gap

Winding a transformer like you describe above sounds like fun. There
must be somebody selling the right kind of steel sheet for folks who
want to make their own transformers.
Eric

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHER-VINTA...em46 196eb8ab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-Ste...em58 aac2c5d5