Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Replacing a door knob

philo wrote:
On 01/20/2014 04:33 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
The front door has quit locking. For a few days, when you tried to
lock the door, twisting the lock would catch half way. You could
steady the door knob and it would lock. Well now it doesn't do
anything. It will turn but the door never locks.

I went to Home depot to get a replacement knob and all of the knobs
had life time warranties. It then occurred to me that maybe the
current knob was also a life time warranty.

I came home to discover the knob may be made by Harloc. Googling it
doesn't really come up with any warranty info or any way to contact
Harloc. The guy at Home Depot said the company may no longer be in
business.

I assumed since most of the building materials were high quality that
the door knob was too. I took pictures of the knob. It doesn't
really look like high quality at all.

I also googled how to repair a door lock, but didn't find any showing
how to get to the lock itself.

http://imgur.com/a/uWG2F

Even if it's under warranty you'd have to send it back and go without a
door knob. Since a new one is not terribly expensive, just get a new one
and don't worry about it.

Here is how I found out my front door no longer locked:

A drunken college student was found on my couch one morning.

When we woke him he was waaay more scared than us.

As he ran out the door he said: "Sorry, I thought I was in my friend's house."

A similar thing happened in my daughter's dorm room. She was living in a
suite with 4 bedrooms and a living room area. She awoke one Saturday
morning to find an unknown girl sleeping on the couch. She ignored her,
assuming it was a friend of one of her roommates. As each roommate woke up,
they all let her be, each thinking it was a friend of another. Eventually
they started asking each other and that's when they realized that no one
knew her.

When they woke her up she admitted that she was really drunk the night
before and didn't really remember how she ended up on the couch. As she was
leaving, they all suggested she get some help.