Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Electrical contact grease?

On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:08:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a car fog light where the problem is the electrical connector

between the housing and the cable. It doesn't appear badly

corroded or anything. But when it's assembled, wiggling the connector

makes it go on and off.

The way it's designed I can't really get at

it to clean it with emery cloth or anything. I have some electrical

contact cleaner I'm going to try. But aside from that and also

with a view to the future, what do you guys use for that kind of

application? Some kind of grease like product that would prevent

corrosion but conduct electricity would seem to be what I need.

Any products to recommend?

Deoxit to clean it - spray on; make/break contacts a few times to clean off.. Let dry then apply dielectric grease (available in tubes at your local auto parts store in the same section as the RTV etc. - sometimes called "tuneup grease" as it is often used in spark plug boots to keep them from sticking to the porcelain) and reconnect. Drive happy for another 10 years or so.

good luck

nate