Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Hello sir ! I was just in the area ...

On 20/01/2014 19:28, harryagain wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/01/2014 10:47, harryagain wrote:
"Terry Fields" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

High prices were neccessary to get the industry started.

The payments were always going to be reduced once the proles could
see
the advantages.

You could say exactly the same about the nuclear power industry - the
one that supplies us with cheap, reliable, safe energy.

Only it's not cheap.
The taxpayer is paying/will have to pay forever the cost of storing
nuclear
waste.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-le...ste_management

Other countries have realised this, but not our numpty government.

There's waste, and then there's waste.

Fly ash from coal-fired stations is radioactive, but isn't treated as
hazardous, whereas if it came from a nuclear site the same level of
activity would require stringent controls.

Nuclear waste can be burnt in power-generating reactors designed for
the task.

Fiction.

http://transatomicpower.com/products.php

Ve-ery interesting.
And where exactly is this wonderful device located?

Wel f***k me. Another pie-in-the-sky that doesn't exist.
More nuclear industry bull****.

You are very credulous.

They have been reprocessing used fuel at Sellafield and other places for
many decades now. They extract plutonium and other radioactive isotopes
from used fuel rods and turn it into MOX fuel to be used in the 30
reactors that are currently using it in Europe, with another 20 licenced
to do so.

Transatomic are a spinoff from MIT, who have a good reputation for doing
good engineering. Bill Gates also has a startup doing work on recycling
nuclear fuel. The only new thing about Transatomic is that their reactor
should be able to use old fuel rods directly. They're hoping to get
round the current hysteria in the USA about reprocessing used fuel.

At least it will give predictable power 24/7.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.