Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default 1/4" phone jack replacement for Behringer 215 speaker.

David Farber wrote:
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"David Farber" wrote in message
This Behringer 215 speaker has two 1/4" phone jacks that are wired
in parallel. It also has two Speakon jacks wired in parallel to
facilitate adding extra speakers to the system. The unit came to me
with one broken 1/4" phone jack. The picture of the pc board is
here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...r/pc-board.jpg

David,

I have just found a switched jack socket in my workshop similar to
the Switchcraft style ones in your photo.
Looking at the left PCB print in your photo, the one I have here
connects the jack centre pin to the "12 O'clock" contact and the jack
ground to the "7 O'clock contact. However, inserting the jack also
connects the jack ground to the "3 O'clock" contact, meaning jack
centre pin and ground are shorted together since the PCB has 12
O'clock and 3 O'clock positions shorted.
Remove this shorting on the PCB and your socket will probably work
OK. Alternatively, just remove the 3 Oclock pin from the socket, though
the first method is much safer and more sensible.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

I called Behringer parts back this morning and told them I received
the wrong parts and why they were the wrong parts. I got a call back
after some research was done and they are shipping me the correct
parts this time. They can't mess this order up twice, can they? (-:

The pc board is multi-layered so I really don't want to mess with
that. Let's see if the replacement parts are the correct ones.

I received the new jacks and they were the correct ones. The speaker works
fine now. I did notice one strange thing about the midrange driver. When I
went to push the connectors onto the terminal block, the driver started to
rotate in its mount. I didn't see any mounting screws that would hold it
securely in place. This can't be normal can it?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA