Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
dave dave is offline

Default Unsolderable wire?

On 01/20/2014 02:18 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Electroplated wire, most likely nickel.

** But nickel plated stuff solders beautifully.

Jack plugs and sockets, DC plugs etc.

I have some mil spec, high-temp wire that's nickel plated. Beautiful
stuff, strands wound in layers. It takes an unusually high temperature
and a long time before the solder wets and soaks into it. It does tin,
but I wouldn't say it solders "beautifully", not with ordinary fluxes.

Tim

I have a Hakko station with 50 Watts max power. I also have a Weller
150W gun. And an old Radio-Shack Ungar 45 W for the occasional
emergency. There are situations where The Weller gun comes in handy,
when the other 2 don't get hot enough. Failing all 3, we have the trusty
Bernz-O-Matic.