Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default "Hello sir ! I was just in the area ...

On 19/01/2014 11:00, harryagain wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
A 4kWp array would not cover my electricity use.

A 4KWp array covers my electricity needs including the (electric) car.
I export a lot in Summer and import in Winter
And the FIT payment would cover my electricty bill by a factor of four.

Except that, in my calculations, I am setting that against the cost of
not investing the money elsewhere. Setting it against the cost of the
electricity bill would be counting the same sum twice, which doesn't work.

You must have a very wasteful and inefficient house.
(Oh you said it was uninsulated and heated by electricity.)
You must be mental.

I wouldn't get the FIT without bringing the insulation up to the
required standard. However, my use is similar to that of one of my
cousins before he insulated and the 4kWp solar array he has on his
stable block does not meet all his electricity needs, so I don't expect
one would meet mine.

Mounting an array on an existing roof may be a permitted development.
Mounting them on an outbuilding and increasing the height by a few metres
almost certainly is not.

How are you going to increaset he roof height by metres?

The garage has a flat roof, to remain within the permitted development
height limits for outbuildings. A 4m wide array at 42 degrees will add
2.67m to the building height.

Colin Bignell