Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here into tube amps?

On Friday, January 17, 2014 1:18:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Greetings Tubulars,

So I have this crazy idea to build a little tube amp just for fun. The

transformers are quite expensive though. I will be looking for old

ones probably because I can't justify spending loads on new ones. So

considering my almost 60 years old ears, 39 of which have been spent

in noisy environments, and my propensity to listen to loud music, what

should I look for that will sound just a little better than I can

hear? Maybe not an audio xmfr will be OK. There are some old tube amps

in a couple local thrift stores. How can I tell if they had good

xmfrs? Or can I?

Eric

---

Tube amps color the music often adding "warmth". I think that's the wrong approach. I believe you want an amp that's transparent / invisible. Tube's are great for instruments but I don't believe they are the right approach for music playback.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...tube-amps.html

These were awesome amps but I prefer power hungry speakers and very loud listening levels:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63956.0

Creator has passed on. Easily some of the cleanest amps I've ever heard. Horribly ugly. Badly marketed. Very high quality.