Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default How much to replace toilet seal?

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:38:27 AM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 22:51:53 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

snip

Speaking of floor problems in bathrooms...

In the same mid-50's house where I had the flange replaced, the tiles in
that bathroom were the 1" square style. Sometime in the mid-80's, the tiles
in front of the sink began to pop off of the mortar bed. The 2" mortar bed
was beginning to crumble. A remodel wasn't in the plans (or budget) just
yet, so I squared off the area around the bad section, removed the tiles
and mortar and built it back up with a few layers of plywood. A bathroom
throw rug covered the temporary repair for a few years while we had a few
babies and tried to save up money.

When remodeling time finally came around, I gutted the bathroom and began
replacing the galvanized drains with PVC. When I pulled the T&G subfloor in
front of the sink, I found something weird. Instead of the joists being 16"
OC like everywhere in the house, the section right in front of the sink was
about 22" OC. As far as I can tell this is the only joist bay in the house
where this spacing exists. I can only assume that the builders needed an
extra 6" someplace and that's where they decided to get it. The problem
was, they chose one of the heaviest trafficked area of the house, not to
mention the only tiled area of the house, to widen the joist spacing.
Before closing up the floor I added some extra bracing between the joists
in that area to hopefully prevent any future movement. So far, no problems.

When I retired from the military, I bought a small house on a couple acres in the couny. Being a "country boy" I was NOT going to spend mylife living in a town.

During various remodelings, I found that that small house was originally 2 small bunkhouses that had been drug in and nailed together. 2X6 joists about 30" o.c.. somehone had inserted additional joistsbut they weren't nailed to anything except at the ends. I re-nailed using glue coat screw types through the "finished" (hah!) and subfloor. Took the bounce out.

Harry K