Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Garage or shop Heater

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
Looking for a heater to keep my utility room pipes from freezing,
either electric or propane. It would be ideal to have a thermostat
that went down to around 35 or 40 degrees F. Other than that, I'll
use a temperature control to turn on power to an electric heater or
a propane heater with continuous electric start pilot light
substitute.

Heat tapes would do the trick for the pipes but I don't want
residual water freezing in the washing machine pump. This doesn't
freeze when it's 20 degrees F outside, but we had a pipe bust when
it got to -9 degrees F. We've had pipe freeze problems twice in the
10 years I've lived here so I'm thinking it wouldn't take much heat
to keep the room above freezing.

Anyone know of an electric or propane shop heaters that have a
thermostat that goes close to freezing temperature?

RogerN

You could salvage the thermostat from a refrigerator and reverse its
action with a relay.

Or you could measure how cold the room gets with 100 or 200W of
continuous heat, such as a light bulb or
http://www.laskoproducts.com/myheat%...ter-model-106/
$12 in WalMart

I use mine to defrost my breakfast sandwich before microwaveing it.
jsw