Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default How much mercury is in mercury relays?

In article ,

On 2014-01-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:lbb7nt$1au$1
@dont-email.me:

Read the Wiki more carefully. The coin shown floating on mercury has a
density of 7.6g/cc, mercury's is 13.534.

Correct! That would make it something over a teaspoonful per contact.
Still a lot, but about half of what I wrote.

LLoyd

I will try to open one up and see. I will do it outdoors

The standard remedy for spilled mercury when I was in high school was
flowers of sulfur, which is finely divided elemental sulfur. This
combines with the mercury to yield the sulfide, which is the ore.

The EPA is nutso about mercury. I handled a lot of it when I was in my
teens. Nothing bad happened.

Joe Gwinn