Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23003 Ignoramus23003 is offline

Default How much mercury is in mercury relays?

On 2014-01-17, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/17/2014 9:54 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus29535 wrote:

(not completely idle interest)

I was just wondering, how much mercury is in mercury relays such as 80
amp three pole relays. A website claims that even a 35 amp single pole
relay contains 251 grams of mercury, which is hard to believe.

http://goo.gl/ESvOvC

Just shake it! You can probably feel the mercury sloshing around
in there. Yes, the huge old mercury contactors had an amazing
amount of the stuff in them.

Jon

I think more mercury would be required if the switch was activiated many
times per minute, at the rated amperage. Much more vapour would be
produced during the time of contact arcing.

Paul, I believe that this is what these switches are for, for very
frequent switching.