Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Chainsaw sharpener

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:46:57 AM UTC-5, willshak wrote:
SteveB wrote:

Doing some heavy duty cutting. Need to occasionally field sharpen a

blade. Are the Oregon/Dremel/et al 12 v. sharpeners worth it? Or is it

just as easy to get a good eye, and do it with a few strokes here and

there? I bought a Craftsman a long time ago. It was like putting

together an Erector set with little instructions, and had so many moving

parts, and clamp and unclamp. I just need to zip, zap, and go. I do

see making myself a bar clamp that will hold the entire saw, maybe a

little cradle for the motor to take some of the weight off the bar, but

something to hold the whole thing rock steady during sharpening.

Should I go with a 12v. model, and which one, or should I just get rat

tail files, and read up on it. I have a good idea about the round ones,

and so far had decent luck field sharpening saws in the field. I still

have no idea about the small mill ******* flat file, nor its use, nor

its setup/parameters. Help here?

Time is important, and I don't want to spend a lot of time in the field.

I can do that at home on an off day, but when I hit some dirt or a

rock, I need to get back sawing in a hurry.

TIA

Steve

Harbor Freight has a chain saw sharpener for sale at $39.99.

You have to remove the chain from the saw to use it, so it's probably

just used at the beginning of a job and then use hand files to touch up

during the job if needed.

Here is the official HF video for using the sharpener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MxO...c4-overview-vl

or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/kaga866

--

Bill

In Hamptonburgh, NY

In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I got one of those sharpeners, it does a good job. I have two chains so that I can replace them in the field if one gets dull. If that happens, I sharpen the dull one as soon as I get home to be ready for the next outing.

Paul