Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How much mercury is in mercury relays?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:04:32 -0600, Ignoramus29535
wrote:

(not completely idle interest)

You piqued mine, too.

I was just wondering, how much mercury is in mercury relays such as 80
amp three pole relays. A website claims that even a 35 amp single pole
relay contains 251 grams of mercury, which is hard to believe.

http://goo.gl/ESvOvC

I like their wording. "contains about 251.6 grams." Since when does
"about" go down to tenths of grams? g

Mercury is exceedingly dense and heavy at 13534 kg/m3, but ~9oz does
seem overly much for a small, single-pole relay. (I wonder if it's a
weight v. volume mismatch I'm experiencing. I believe so.)

1 fluid ounce (fl oz) of mercury = 0.88 lb in mercury

So 252 grams would be roughly 0.64 fluid ounces. OK, that works for
me. That crap IS dense!

--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.