Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

On 16/01/2014 20:48, dennis@home wrote:
On 16/01/2014 11:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/01/2014 08:52, Ian Jackson wrote:

I have to say that despite extensive Googling, I have found it very
difficult to find any definitive and authoritative statements about
using 'too fast' memory. When the subject is raised, most discussions
rapidly veer away from the original question, and your are left
wondering whether the answer was 'yes', 'no', 'maybe' - or, more often,
'nobody here knows the answer, so we'll answer a question that no one
asked'.

The general answer is that with synchronous memory devices, faster
*should* be ok. However in the real world you have designs that were
never verified with the faster memory (probably did not exist at the
time of design), and on rare occasions you might get problems.

Many motherboard makers publish tables of certified ram/motherboard
combinations. Its often worth using them.

Modern chipsets read the memory speed from a chip on the dimm and set
the correct speed, older ones didn't.

Indeed - although even then there can still be problems IME. Getting
less frequent it has to be said though

--
Cheers,

John.