Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How much mercury is in mercury relays?

Ignoramus29535 fired this volley in
:

Right. But I want to know how much of it is there. I bought a cabinet
with contents, with big mercury relays. When I shake them, I feek a
significant "heft" of liquid inside.

Ig, at 7.6g/cc, it would take 33cc of mercury to make up 251g.

That's a half-pound! (which ain't a huge volume. I've got a 1lb bottle
of Hg that's only the size of a small pill vial).

I've have a lot of different single-pole mercury tilt switches, with the
biggest one rated at 30A. It doesn't have more than about 2cc of the
metal in it.

Think about it... 11cc per pole is 2-1/4 teaspoonsful per pole. (Although
you probably think 'naturally' in metric volumes, some of us have to
translate to Imperial to 'get it'.G) That seems like a great deal.

Now... if they were 100A switches/relays, I could see maybe having that
much in them, just to increase the contact area, so they don't get hot.

But that sounds like too much for 35A jobs.

Lloyd