Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29535 Ignoramus29535 is offline

Default How much mercury is in mercury relays?

On 2014-01-17, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/16/2014 8:04 PM, Ignoramus29535 wrote:
(not completely idle interest)

I was just wondering, how much mercury is in mercury relays such as 80
amp three pole relays. A website claims that even a 35 amp single pole
relay contains 251 grams of mercury, which is hard to believe.

http://goo.gl/ESvOvC

Probably true. But it is encapsulated in glass. You have probably
already seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_relay.

They seem to operate just like the older thermostats. Arcing of the
contacts will vaporize some of the mercury, but it is recovered when the
switch cools.

Right. But I want to know how much of it is there. I bought a cabinet
with contents, with big mercury relays. When I shake them, I feek a
significant "heft" of liquid inside.