Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Daisy-Chaining Light Bulbs: Wire?

On 1/16/2014 10:31 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per dpb:
In addition to other comments note that while it's electrically ok,
by Code exposed wiring in an accessible space is required to be
protected if it isn't in the attic space above the garage but run on
surface between fixtures.

I'm figuring there's a functional reason for Code rules.... and maybe
that's it for this one.

I take "Protected" to mean more immune to foreign objects breaking
through the insulation and exposing wire... and that would make sense.
The exposure with small appliance cords is there... but we live with
that because of the convenience/usability tradeoffs. OTOH, on long
fixed runs, there's no convenience/usability consideration so we want
protection.

Does that fly?

What, specifically, is it that "that" refers to? Wiring and device
cords are two completely different animals by Code; one has nothing
whatever to do with the other as far as compliance rules.

You don't say how you did the installation; if you did run romex between
outlets and tacked it to the ceiling joists, then think "conduit"
between to make it legal or the surface-mount square tube or you could
get by with a "canal" made of furring strips on either side.

But, yes, it is simply mechanical protection, not electrical/functional
in the requirement. I've got places here on the farm where I haven't
follow the rule because in reality the location is so high and there is
no likelihood of equipment or other stuff actually ever getting in
contact with it and it's never going to be an issue of needing
inspection or a requiring correction for future sale or any such thing;
I simply bring it up as in a residential garage while the same may be
true for the height/accessibility part so it really may not be an issue
from a practical standpoint, the likelihood is pretty good that at some
point the inspection/sale may require rework that may as well just avoid
from the git-go. Plus, overall, it's just "the thing to do" even if can
get away with less.

If so, what about the ground wire. Assuming plastic boxes, would there
be an alternative #14 wire without the wasted ground wire?

Again by Code, the ground is to be there. I've not kept up on changes
in Code for existing two-wire circuits as far as whether they're still
grandfathered or not and of course it's any local jurisdiction that has
actual control/say-so even if NEC does still allow it. You could,
physically, run two single wires (say conduit) but in short chunks
probably as costly if not more so than the Romex anyway.