Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How Much Heat ?

wrote in message
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:21:42 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
Then I was wondering if I might get a better

concentricity by heating the part, and letting it cool around the shaft.

Still with a flat on the shaft and a set screw just to be safe.

Please lets not go off on tangents. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

You might consider this as going off on a tangent, but to get the best
concentricity I would join the rough machined parts and then machine the
part.

Dan

I had not considered that. I'll have to think about it for a while. Given
the final rough shape of the part and the tools I have available I am not
sure I have the ability to do that, but it is worth considering. As a side
note, I have already made this part once as a strictly slip fit with a set
screw and it works fair. I was hoping the shrink fit would give me better
results. The assembly is a spinning part and I am trying to remake it with
minimal runout. The part where it attaches to the drive would be very
difficult to machine afterwards both parallel and concentric to the bore. A
press fit is not practical as the only place to press is a pre-machined
precision interface for yet another part.

---