Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Daisy-Chaining Light Bulbs: Wire?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:31:15 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per dpb:
In addition to other comments note that while it's electrically ok,
by Code exposed wiring in an accessible space is required to be
protected if it isn't in the attic space above the garage but run on
surface between fixtures.

I'm figuring there's a functional reason for Code rules.... and maybe
that's it for this one.

I take "Protected" to mean more immune to foreign objects breaking
through the insulation and exposing wire... and that would make sense.
The exposure with small appliance cords is there... but we live with
that because of the convenience/usability tradeoffs. OTOH, on long
fixed runs, there's no convenience/usability consideration so we want
protection.

Does that fly?

If so, what about the ground wire. Assuming plastic boxes, would there
be an alternative #14 wire without the wasted ground wire?

None made any more. Not since the sixties that would be "approved"