Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Fluke 77 DVM

On 16/01/2014 15:37, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message ... On
16/01/2014 13:45, William Sommerwerck wrote:

I would simply flush out everything inside with contact cleaner.
It's more likely to be an accumulation of schmutz, than something
wrong with the electronics.

The UK has been permanently damp for about 2 months now. Perhaps
something has gone hydroscopic. Brushed meths over both sides of the
lower part of the pcb and allowed to dry off. Much the same 10s of megs.
When powered up and open I played a distant hot air gun over the dvm,
held in hand at the time so only hair drier temp and the o/c ohms
suddenly dropped to 10s of K . Let it cool down and gradually went to
33M and repeated switching on/off the last few times has stayed that

way.

Glad to hear the patient is improving. What about the switches and the
jacks?

When the dvm was in errant mode , saying say 15Meg, stressing rotary sw
wafer or sockets etc with a plastic pen barrel made no marked change in
the reading, wavering much the same +/- 10K or so, long term wavering
10M to 20Meg, whether twizzling or not. Will see tomorrow if the ohms
scale opens at 10s of megs rather than 33 megs