Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Daisy-Chaining Light Bulbs: Wire?

On 1/15/2014 6:37 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Just added six naked light bulbs to the ceiling of my garage and the
improvement in visibility for working is so good that I want to add
three more.

For the six, I threw myself on the mercy of the guy in the Home Depot
electrical aisle: #14 Romex between bulbs.

But when I got home, I realized that the porcelain fixtures used for the
bulbs do not have a ground connection, so the ground wire in the Romex
is wasted.

3 bulbs, 25 watts each... seems like I could just use lamp cord...

You really mean 25 W bulbs or...oh, CFL's; can't get used to not being
incandescent.

In addition to other comments note that while it's electrically ok, by
Code exposed wiring in an accessible space is required to be protected
if it isn't in the attic space above the garage but run on surface
between fixtures.

As a convenience factor, while it's a little more effort, it would be
_a_good_thing_ (tm) to have at least one set of these on a second
circuit so wouldn't be in dark if a single breaker tripped while in the
garage while there's not external light available (that is, after dark).