Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CR2023? CR2032 Batteries

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, wrote:

Gosh, I wish I knew a place that still made the battery for my 1980 HP2621
terminal. It loses the settings whenever I shut it off. I haven't used it on
a regular basis since 1995, though. But it worked so well. Gold contacts on
the keys, all I had to do was squeeze them with pliers when they acted up.
I should give it up - the glass is peeling and the glue gaps look like mildew.
Not in a big way, though.

So where's the problem?

One time I bought a nice LCD desk clock, I liked it a lot, though it was
no more than five dollars. When the button cell died, I was cheap, just
soldered an AA battery to it, which lasted even longer.

That sort of battery isnt' likely to be more than a few volts, so you
could just solder something else in. Uncover what voltage is needed and
then solder an alkaline AA or two in place. At worse, you'll have to
solder in a new pair in a decade or so. You could get fancy, use nicad or
nimh, but then you have to figure out some method of keeping them charged,
hardly worth the effort when the AAs will last so long.

Michael