Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How Much Heat ?

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:21:42 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've got a little project I am working on. Steel shaft in steel hole. At
first I was just going to bore close, and skim cut the bore until the shaft
just barely fit then secure it with a set screw. Some strength against
twisting is important. Then I was wondering if I might get a better
concentricity by heating the part, and letting it cool around the shaft.
Still with a flat on the shaft and a set screw just to be safe.

The part with the hole has an outside diameter where the hole is of about
1.00". The hole is 0.500" apx. Final cut dimension of the hole will be
determined by trying to figure out how much to heat the part and how much
expansion I can get. The shaft is hardened tool steel with a diameter of
0.4995" apx. The part is 1018. My thought was to bore to .49 then ream to
.499 with an under reamer. Heat the part, insert the shaft, snug up set
screw momentarily to align the flat, and allow part to cool. Then tighten
set screw. This is to be a modestly accurate permanent installation.

How much heat do I need on the part? I think I'll need a little more growth
than necessary to fit due to rapid cooling while assembling, and the slow
clumsiness of working with heat heat resistant gloves on and/or using tongs.
Ambient in my shop is around 70F in the afternoon lately.

Please lets not go off on tangents. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

---

If I was doing your assembly I would heat the one part and freeze the
other just to get a little more clearance. Then I would carefully run
a drill inside the tapped hole to dimple the shaft. Finally, I would
install the setscrew. I think the screw would be redundant but it
won't hurt to put one in. And a cup point setscrew, or the type with
the cup point that's knurled, will locate well in the little dimple.
And the dimple will be perfectly aligned with the screw hole.
Eric

---