Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The internet as we know it in the USA just died a bit today.

Mike Marlow wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

While on the surface this is not good, but competition is the word.
Today people are not tied to one internet provider.

This is an absurd and absolutely incorrerrctly wrong statement. Perhaps
people living in certain areas of the country have choices of
ISP's but there is a very large segment of this country that has no
choice in that service - you take what is offered or you do without. Don't
believe me? Step outside of your world and see what a large
part part of America really faces.

As with
newspapers if the user does not like the politics and policies of the
provider they go with someone else.

That is an absolutely stupid statement that reflects only one thing -
your complete lack of awararenes of what a large percentage of
America deals with. So - in rural America - what are those options
that the user should explore? Before answering that question - do
yourself the favor of really looking into those "options" because you
will find surprising results.

Thank GOD the government has not taken complete control of our
businesses and industry, and we still have some degree of Capitalism
working in our society.

On that point - we are in violent agreement!

Speaking of absurd things to say - I appologize Keith, for the harshness of
my reply to you. Wouldn't you know that I had just gone through a very
frustrating (maddening) day dealing with my ISP over dismal DSL performance
in our area, only to be told there wasn't any relief projected for the
entire year. We live in an area where there are not many alternatives to
DSL so we're almost completely stuck with what we get. As it turns out,
Time Warner did a survey and decided that they could indeed run more cable
and get service to us and our neighbors. Had it not been for that, our only
alternatives were satellite or cellular - both expensive and limited. Now
we only have to wait for Time Warner to get the cable pulled - and they tell
us that may take up to 4 months...

Sorry I let my frustrations come through in my reply to you.

--

-Mike-