Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Light Fixture MAX bulb wattage

On 1/15/2014 11:09 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:08:34 -0600,
wrote:

Light fixtures all have a MAXimum wattage rating for bulb size. Most
standard indoor home fixtures are rated at 100W or less. (60W is
common). But this rating is for incandescent bulbs, and based on how
much heat the fixture can handle. Yet, these days incandescent bulbs
are becoming rare in homes. But lets say a fixture is rated at 60W MAX.
A 60W *Equivalant* CFL bulb only uses around 15W. Does this mean that
the fixture could actually handle FOUR of these bulbs (if they would
fit)? Or is the limit still based on the *Equivalant* rating?

I doubt any fixture rated at 60W would have the room for FOUR CFL bulbs,
but what if I install a 150W *Equivalant* bulb, which only uses around
30W? I know it's all abotu heat, and a CFL dont get as hot as a
incandescent bulb, but they still do put out some heat.

I guess the ratings on fixtures are sort of obsolete, and I have not yet
seen a CFL or LED rating on even the newest fixtures. I can only assume
they are speaking about ACTUAL wattage consumption, regardless of bulb
type. Is this correct?

The only issue I see with this idea is that CFLs fail from heat a lot
quicker.
I doubt you are going to cause a problem with the surrounding wires or
building finish but you may shorten the life of the CFL.
You have that problem with CFLs mounted base up too.

In addition to that, I think Don Klipstein said the heat produced by
CFLs does not radiate out of the fixture as well as the heat from
incandescents.