Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 15:13:16 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 13/01/2014 20:33, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

I've found brand new cheap memory to be faulty 10% of the time. And
decent memory to be faulty 3% of the time.

Blimey...

Do you install it on a nice nylon carpet with no static protection or
something??

Out of hundreds (possibly even thousands - some machines take many
DIMMs) I've had one failure that I remember, and that was far from
cheap RAM. Sun microsystems stick of ram in a T5220 that buggered
around from new (I think it was rebadged micron IIRC).

I've fitted all sorts of cheap nasty RAM in machines over the years.
Never had f single one turn out to be faulty (yet...)

In terms of failures once installed - someone said they had never had
RAM fail once installed? After hard drives (very frequent) and PSUs
(fairly often) I'd say RAM is probably up there with CPU fan failures.
Many of our machines run mirrored RAM so it doesn't take out the system
but it's still far from unheard of.

Yup had RAM failures after use. but as you say DOA type failures are
very rare if the devices have been properly treated prior and during
install.

I would concur with HDs being the most common failure, Either PSUs next
(but they are closely tied with motherboards), and RAM quite a way
after. I have also had one CPU failure in use.

Since half the RAM I buy is not shipped in antistatic bags....

--
How do you scare a man?
Sneak up behind him and start throwing rice.