Posted to alt.home.repair
KayFree KayFree is offline

Default What to use to drill hole in steel door?

replying to Jon Danniken , KayFree wrote:
jonSPAMdanniken wrote:

You're probably not applying enough pressure to actually cut the metal,
but instead running the saw on the metal creating friction, as evidenced
by your paint burning up. You need to put your weight into the drill so
that the teeth can do their job, and not spin the drill too fast when
you do this.
For jobs like this I use a 1/2" chuck drill, because it turns slower
than my regular 3/8" chuck drill.
I can't speak to the quality of mastercraft bimetal hole saws, but I do
know that Lennox makes a reliable one.
Jon

Thanks for all your advice, I did end up drilling through the door, with
some difficulty. I was putting a lot of pressure on the door, the metal
actually bent a bit by the time I was done. I would definetly try a lower
speed next time with some oil and take the door off the hinges and put it
on the ground. The way I got it to work was a lot of pressure and rotating
the pressure around the edges of the hole saw as it cut, I also used a
punch and put multiple dents around the cut to help, still took me a
longer time(15-20 min) than I thought it would take to do it. I wish I
would have known what I know now.