Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Why use a contactor?

On 2014-01-13, Ignoramus28861 wrote:
On 2014-01-13, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2014-01-12, Ignoramus13867 wrote:

[ ... ]
The best argument for using a contactor in a small bandsaw, is that
you can get proper thermal overloads to protect the motor.

This is more of a factor with three phase motors, where a motor
once started will continue to run if one phase of power fails, but the
current drawn in each remaining winding will be higher, and will be
likely to burn out the motor. (And he was going to add a 240 VAC single
phase motor to the bandsaw in question.)

No, on bandsaw, the main problem is that it runs unattended and can
easily get stuck.

O.K. I've not experienced that on mine -- but given some of the
motors on the import H/V bandsaws, that is a possibility. And *that* is
a good reason for replacing the motor with one which delivers the
nameplate horsepower, instead of being mostly empty air in a too-large
housing trying to look like an adequate motor. :-) I've read the reports
of motors getting so hot that they burn the hands of the user, but mine
never gets that hot. MSC got a proper motor put into it, apparently.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail