Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Why use a contactor?

On 2014-01-13, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 06:11:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[ ... ]

My old (1970s) Shopsmith came with one. When I finally wore it out in
the 1990s, I replaced it with the same-quality switch from a US maker
(IIRC it was a Square-D safety switch, specifically for table saws). You
could knock it off easily, but had to pull the bat out manually to turn
it back on -- heavy-duty thing. It lasted more than 20 years of nearly
daily use, and the replacement is still on the machine, still working.

LLoyd

Last year.. I replaced 5 switches in Delta /Milwaukee table saws
alone.

Wood sawdust packed in the switches? What kind of switches?
Perhaps the standard wall switch?

Did you take them apart for the fun of finding out what the
failure mode was? (Detail photos would go a long way towards settling
the debate ranging here. But at least is is about *metalworking*
(and woodworking), not politics.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--