Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry Peters Jerry Peters is offline

Default Batt charged but unplug shuts

wrote:
It is an Acer Aspire running Linpus not Windows.

I do have an identical machine which runs Windows so I might be able to swap
batteries. I see no obvious battery compartment, so I imagine I have to open
the unit.

The battery is at the back. There are 2 latches that hold it in place
just in front of the rear feet. Slide the latches to release the
battery and it should pull straight out.

What happened is I played with the OS, trying to install a diff version of
Linux (Quantian/Knoppix/Debian) and ended up having to reinstall Linpus from
CD. It may have needed a larger SD card as secondary disk - I got one but
can't set it up just yet. So I didn't use it for about two years. It was
fine before that. Linpus is a Fedora variant and I have run into repomd
dependency chaos, so I might install a different OS, unless I can just run
Java apps. But I can't play with the machine for a few months until the
current project I am using it for ends.

I've got a 16G SDHC card, /home & /var are on it, everything else is
on the internal SSD. I replaced Linpus after a week or two with my
standard Slackware install, which has since been changed to Salix
13.37 (a Slackware derivative). Bought it originally for travelling,
but it's also convenient for reading mail and newsgroups sitting in my
living room recliner.

I like the size of these Acer Aspire Ones. They are great as Notebooks for
reading PDFs and writing notes, but not much else (too slow on XP, but linpus
is quite fast - which actually promotes the Java options). I don't like the
idea of carrying around something expensive in NYC. I had a similarly sized
Compaq Aero 4/25 runnign DOS for ten years and I liked it for the same
reasons, but it also had a bum battery (ev'tho I replaced batt) so I had to
use it always plugged in in the living room. The LED died in 12/08 the same
week my desktop LED screen also died (wierd, never figured, prolly some kind
of solar storm, tho bothscreens died during light drizzle outdoors - no
machines not wet).

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm