Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Why use a contactor?

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

It is at least a *possible* one.

Don, I'm not picking on your answer... I had to respond to someone's, and
yours got the prize...

This is the dumbest discussion I've ever heard (short of all the
political spew on here).

Even half-quality garbage plastic switches from China are NOT prone to
accidentally 'switching on' from accumulations of dust or swarf.

That it's a remote possibility, I won't deny. But such switches typically
serve for years to decades without a malfunction in the dusty, dirty,
swarf-filled environments in which we use them, and it's dumb to think of
the average home craftsman's going to the trouble to re-wire, retrofit,
and otherwise jigger-up his equipment with low voltage contactors and
safety circuits. That some would or even could is beside the question.

This discussion should be turned to "What's the best-quality switch I can
buy affordably that will suit the safety needs of the application." For
that, I recommend a good industrial-quality safety-style switch that
requires a simple swipe of the hand to turn off, and a positive 'de-
locking' action to turn on.

My old (1970s) Shopsmith came with one. When I finally wore it out in
the 1990s, I replaced it with the same-quality switch from a US maker
(IIRC it was a Square-D safety switch, specifically for table saws). You
could knock it off easily, but had to pull the bat out manually to turn
it back on -- heavy-duty thing. It lasted more than 20 years of nearly
daily use, and the replacement is still on the machine, still working.

LLoyd