Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default 1/4" phone jack replacement for Behringer 215 speaker.

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis"

William, why do you keep doing this?

** The Sommer****** fails to read his own words, let alone other's.

If you had bothered to do your research properly you will have discovered
that the Behringer B215 is a loudspeaker.

** The heading alone makes that clear.

Then the pic backs it up.

It has no internal amplifiers, the jack sockets are simply in parallel
with the Speakon sockets and do exactly the same job.

** But Speakons do it way better and are not prone to shorting.

Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that seems to
provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

** Yep - it a stereo jack with the ring contact wired to the tip contact
via the PCB.

... Phil

It may be easiest in this case to use this "wrong" socket by modifying the
PCB traces, thus retaining the mounting between PCB and backplate and having
an easily replaceable part in the future.

It is not uncommon now to find chinese manufactured parts that look very
similar to off the shelf western parts but having different pinouts. I seem
to remember our Mr Cook reporting something along these lines here a while
ago (TRS = RTS?)

One I saw recently was a PCB mount switched jack socket where the switched
terminals were on the opposite side of the socket to just about every other
switched jack socket in existance, so the switching action would not work
with a generic replacement, even though it fitted perfectly.
(this was either a Laney or Crate guitar combo)

Seems this may be the case here.

Gareth.