Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] lexrex1620@gmail.com is offline

Default Poulan pro 44cc 20" chain saw - chain oil not feeding

On Tuesday, May 6, 2008 1:50:58 PM UTC-5, willshak wrote:
I have a Poulan Pro 2900 46cc 20" chain saw. All of a sudden, the bar
oil is not oiling the bar and chain. I took the cover off the bar and
chain adjustment compartment, took the bar and chain off, cleaned the
whole compartment out, and looked all over for a clogged feed line or
something, and couldn't find where the bar oil was supposed to come out
to lubricate the chain. I think the oil may come out onto the drive gear
under the centrifugal clutch.
The saw is full of regular bar oil. Unfortunately, I can't find the
manual either. Any ideas, or a web location where I can find out what's
wrong?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Hello:

I know this is an old post, but maybe you're still there or others will benefit:

I have the Poulan Pro PP4620av model, but many others are similar.

On the Poulans of this same type, the bar adjusting hole on the bottom engages with the bar adjuster pin, but the top hole is open & used for the Bar & Chain oil to flow into the bar under pressure.

When you flip the bar to even out the wear, the top hold will be the oil hole.

To test if your saw oil pump is working, remove bar & chain, leave side cover off & run saw, let idle & rev up. Leave on for a couple of minutes - you should observe bar oil flowing from the upper groove / slot in the upper portion of the 'bar plate' - [(the metal plate held in place by the two bar bolts (studs, actually)] if the bar were installed, this would flow into the bar to lube things up.

The oil should be flowing readily down this plate & pooling as saw engine idles & flow increasing with engine speed.

If your saw flows the bar oil, then your bar groove likely has a build up of saw dust & chips that are blocking oil flow.

Take a thin piece of metal, thin screwdriver or even the end of a medium zip tie, and run down the bar groove from tip to the rear end - you will be amazed at how much organic wood material & oil gunk comes out !

This should restore the oil flow to the bar & chain.

I make a practice of 'aiming' the saw bar at a piece of wood, etc, and revving up strongly to check & see if oil is flung off the tip & makes a stripe of residue, confirming bar is being oiled. I'll do this every 2-3 long cuts.

The only other helpful hint I have is if it's cold winter weather, thin out that Bar Oil with some ATF.

I find 22 oz of Bar Oil (Huskvarna brand) to 10 oz of ATF (Quart total) to be a great mixture, when the temps are averaging 50 degrees & lower. The thick oil just doesn't flow well at those temps & the bar & chain starve for oil.

It's also got to be easier on the oil pump to not try to pump the thick syrup like Bar Oil at low temps.

I've learned all this by servicing my Poulan Saw. It's going great after 3 seasons & probably 40 hours of runtime.

Best Regards, David in East Texas