Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers

sms wrote:
On 1/12/2014 5:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per sms:
coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc.

Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.

That reminds me of an apartment I lived in. Instead of expensive coin
operated washers and dryers, the owners installed a coin operated power
controller, which was really nothing more than a timer. The cord for the
standard washer and dryer each went into a coin box. The sign said $0.75
per load. As soon as the third quarter was inserted, the power came on and
stay on for a set number of minutes.

I've seen that too but it makes little sense. The reason that the
commercial machines are more expensive is not the coin slide it's that
they build them with much more rugged components in order to have them
stand up to continuous use.

Each building in the complex only had 4 apartments, 2 one bedroom and 2
slightly larger 2 bedrooms, but the 2nd bedroom was pretty small. In most
cases there were never more than 8 people per building and even that was a
lot. It was mostly singles and couples, not too many kids.

The rugged commercial machines would probably be overkill but with enough
$1.50 wash & dry loads, they probably made enough to maintain the standard
machines. That' sustainable my guess, I never did the math. Of course, if
enough people used the timing trick that I did, that would throw their
numbers way off.