Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default CR2023? CR2032 Batteries

wrote:
I could swear the battery I removed was 2023 but when I went to the store
I pulled out a 2032 which might have gotten confused when I looked for
2023. But the 2032 I bought fit into the socket.

The computer in question still has CMOS errors,
so I'm wondering if I popped the wrong battery in.
But it fit perfectly in the socket.

THis is a 1995 Gateway (GW2k) P5-75 CMOS battery.

If it was 2023 I lost the 2023. Are they similar enough? Is there any way to
check which one was used by Gateway? (I had found a completely different one
online when I searched a few months ago which is why I was susprised which
one I found)

There is a CR2025. Many motherboards of that vintage used them, but probably
just as many used the CR2032. They are close enough in size that a
CR2032 will fit in a socket for a CR2025 that is basically a cup with
tabs to hold the battery in and a large flat spring to contact it.

There is a socket that looks like the letter U where the battery slides
down into it, and that is too close a tolerance for a CR2032 to fit.

At this point, if it works, make a label that says CR2032 on it, and stick
it on the motherboard. :-)

Geoff.