Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Why use a contactor?

DoN. Nichols wrote:

And while wood may be an insulator, horizontal bandsaws (which I
remember from the earlier articles in this thread, and which I
use) are more commonly used to cut metal. And metal swarf is
certainly conductive.

You are absolutely correct Don - and thank you for that correction. I got
sidetracked by the one poster who mentioned that he had once seen sawdust
create a short. While I disagree that such is a common or even an
anticipated occurance, I do acknowkedge your clarification - you point is
well taken.

B) Toggle switches typically have a spring-loaded actuator which
bears on a metal plate which rocks back and forth to bridge
contacts or not bridge them.

Even a buildup of wood sawdust or plastic dust *could* trap the
metal rocker in a position to keep the bridging happening, even
when the toggle is in the "off" position.

Yes... and the earth could have been flat before centrifigul force changed
all that. My point Don is that yes - things are possible - probable, or
even common in the real world is something different.

It is at least a *possible* one.

I will concede that anything is possible - even my wife deciding... well...
we won't go there... Just because something is possible does not put it in
the realm of probable, practical, or even worth thinking about. I am not
saying that your comments are not worth consideration with that statement,
I'm simply trying to make your statement that it is at least possible as
meaningless in its context as I can.

--

-Mike-