Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can't keep faucet aerator from leaking. What's the secret?

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:45:30 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:32:16 PM UTC-5, TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:I've got a Price Pfister kitchen faucet and the chrome screw-on aerator set up has always been something of a problem. Each time I'd remove it for cleaning there would be a very slight leak past the threads upon re-attachment. Over the course of a few days sediment would creep into the threads and the leak would stop until the next time I'd take it off.Thinking the problem was some aspect of the machining of the aerator I ordered a new one, and this one leaks even worse. Even with the faucet threads wrapped with teflon tape the leak past the threads is significantly worse than with the old aerator, yet the new aerator has a brand-new washer in it.I've tightened it as tight as I can by hand, which I'd think should be sufficient since you're *supposed* to take the aerator off from time- to-time. The only other thing I can think to do is to get one of those "strap" wrenches to torque the aerator down even tighter but before I resort to that I suppose I could get some plumber's

pipe dope and try that.Is there something I'm doing wrong here?TIA. Tom Young

I don't understand why I didnt' get Tom Young's original post, why the
thread started with Arizona Bill's reply. Is this just normal missing
of posts? That had stopped completely but it seems to happen a lot
lately.

Anyhow, Tom, when you say you ordered it, it sounds like you ordered it
from Price Pfister, and maybe they expected you to order the rubber
washer separately. I don't think they should have, but one advantage of
hardware stores is that they generally include extra parts that one
needs, and I think if you bought an aerator at a hardware store or big
box home repair store, it would come with a rubber washer.

Get a handy-type neighbor to come in and install it for you. Forget the teflon tape, pipe dope is better if not as neat. Also, did you get the old washer/o-ring out before you put the new one in?