Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CR2023? CR2032 Batteries

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 01:51:36 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I could swear the battery I removed was 2023 but when I went to the store
I pulled out a 2032 which might have gotten confused when I looked for
2023. But the 2032 I bought fit into the socket.

The computer in question still has CMOS errors,
so I'm wondering if I popped the wrong battery in.
But it fit perfectly in the socket.

THis is a 1995 Gateway (GW2k) P5-75 CMOS battery.

If it was 2023 I lost the 2023. Are they similar enough? Is there any way to
check which one was used by Gateway? (I had found a completely different one
online when I searched a few months ago which is why I was susprised which
one I found)

A CR2032 is 20 mm diameter, 3.2 mm thick, 225ma-hr
A CR2025 is 20 mm diameter, 2.5 mm thick, 165ma-hr
There is no CR2023 battery.
Either will fit in a 20 mm dia battery holder.

The only real difference is that the 2025 is thinner and may not make
as solid a connection as the thicker CR2032. You can bend the top +
terminal on the battery holder to compensate. However, I'm fairly
sure your ancient Gateway uses a CR2032 battery and that you bought
and installed the correct battery.

Why it doesn't work is unknown.
Did you install it upside-down? The + goes on top.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558