Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default 1/4" phone jack replacement for Behringer 215 speaker.

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message ...

"David Farber" wrote in message ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The 1/4" phone jack is (supposedly) a balanced line-level input. If
you plug a mono plug into it, the plug's sleeve will short the jack's
ring to ground. This is normal; there's nothing inherently wrong with
this. It's one way unbalanced signals can be connected to balanced
inputs.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215.aspx
I suspect you have a problem that isn't really a problem.

Hi William,

I think if you take an ohmmeter and connect it to a speaker input, and it
measures the lowest reading that it can display, that would be cause for
concern. The only time this happens is when the stereo plug is inserted into
the jack even when the plug isn't connected to anything. How do you perceive
that this isn't a problem?

As far as I can tell, this isn't a speaker input -- it's a balanced
amplifier
input. There is no reason why a mono plug or stereo plug should show a
short.

Your description of what's going on seems inconsistent and confused.

William, why do you keep doing this?

If you had bothered to do your research properly you will have discovered
that the Behringer B215 is a loudspeaker.
It has no internal amplifiers, the jack sockets are simply in parallel with
the Speakon sockets and do exactly the same job.

Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that seems to
provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

David, my usual technique where the original socket cannot easily be
replaced is to simply use a chassis mounted switched jack socket hard wired
to the PCB, if space allows it, after carefully working out what connections
to connect to where.

Gareth.