Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Hawkins[_2_] Jim Hawkins[_2_] is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 12:47:29 -0000, John Williamson

On 08/01/14 09:14, soup wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Seriously, three hours? What on earth were you doing to it?
I ran XP for 7 years( fair enough it was switched off each night and
restarted the next day) and only once saw a BSOD.

oh its never a BSOD - it just hangs - runs out of memory.

You must be doing something extremely odd then, as I have had XP SP3
running reliably (As in days between reboots for other reasons) in 2
gigabytes of RAM and no swapfile, all held on a 4 gigabyte SSD. It was
slow, but then again, it *was* running on the EEEPC.

XP SP3 is v e r y s l o w with less than a gigabyte of RAM due to the
paging needed, but I've never had the OS hang due to memory problems as
long as the swapfile is enabled and big enough. XP SP1 and SP2 used to
run quite nicely in 128 megabytes of RAM using a Pentium 300 processor.
The bloat didn't arrive until SP3 was released.

With Windows 7 and 8 I never use less than 8GB. 16GB if you're doing
anything more than just word processing or emails.

Does that mean you only use 64bit OSs ?

Jim Hawkins