Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Why use a contactor?

"SteveF" wrote in message
On 1/12/2014 8:01 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The problem is that the contactor needs a bulky and expensive
sealed
enclosure. I've wired my machinery with waterproof outdoor boxes
and
flex conduit from big-box stores, but they don't carry large JIC
boxes
with watertight doors.
http://www.austinenclosures.com/prod...s_Hinge_Boxes/

A small IEC motor starter may be used with a cheap plastic
enclosure. 4
screw JIC enclosures will suffice. 6x8x4 inch should be adequate.
If
the motor has internal overload protection, smaller contactors/
enclosures may be used.

That's up to you.

I designed industrial controls to GM's specs which required NEMA-rated
enclosures and conduit that gave reasonable protection from a fork
lift, and interconnecting wiring no smaller than 16 AWG for mechanical
strength.

Hobby machinery may not be subject to the same level of abuse, but it
wasn't initially designed with protected spaces for add-on controls
and wiring. I've milled connector openings in a lot of 'cheap plastic
enclosures', usually ABS Hammond boxes from Digikey, and seen how
easily they fracture. Personally I like metal weatherproof outlet
boxes on machines that throw wood or metal chips, or plastic for low
voltage and safer locations.